Many times NGOs and people wonder how to get people to participate in public life. In particular, our last great effort was to create the momentum to ask for a political change in terms of public health in our Region.
How have we reached this great people’s participation result?
As we also mentioned in one of our last articles, we have created a short nice story of participation in last months, starting from a first group of people and then making the snowball roll. From elders, we then engaged adults and then finally young people. Such a result has been possible only thanks to the commitment and contagious energy that people have felt.
Some concrete steps to raise engagement among people:
- Make people feel the urgency about their action. They have to understand that they have limited time for input. In this way, people can adjust their contributions and gather. For this reason, we have created a coordination committee of citizens. Basically, it involved all those people who were genuinely interested in participating and have a say.
- Link participation to needs that are considered relevant. In fact, we have to stick to the present situation and help people to read their current situation.
- Work with different target groups creating more call to actions. Indeed, it is important to adjust call for actions with reference to different perceptions of the same problem.
- Use as many media and social media as possible (newsletters, social media, TV, radio, meet-ups, press releases).
- Rely also on physical presence – be in the streets, talk with people face to face. In this way, you can defeat online haters.